It’s awards season. Here are EIGHT reasons why your business should enter awards!
By Eleanor McGillie
The Northern Ireland business awards season is upon us. It’s a time when everyone’s focus is homed in on categories. Everyone suddenly starts looking at their business, their teams, their CSR activity, their latest advancements in technology, their brand exposure, product development, innovative practices and so on.
We are fortunate enough to work with established businesses who recognise the benefits of allocating time, effort and resources for submitting entries for industry awards. Awards are not just about giving your team a pat on the back – they are about so much more.
Industry led awards showcase many elements of a business. There are excellence in innovation awards, awards focusing on leadership and management, corporate social responsibility, best use of digital and social media practice and so on. The lists are endless but so too are the reasons for you to enter.
Here are our EIGHT reasons why your business should enter awards:
- Storytelling – 92 per cent of people want stories. If you have a good story to share then why not share it with a panel of judges and your wider community and open your business up to the profiling opportunities which come with business awards.
- Learning – If you’re not in – you won’t win but it’s not all about winning either. You get to learn more about your business and also about you and your team. An awards process can be gruelling and difficult because you will face stiff competition – but don’t be put off. Enter!
- Confidence – When you get a professional team of writers to submit an award for you it gives you confidence about your business and your team. Having an awards submission reminds you how well you are doing and gives you the confidence to implement new initiatives which will help you develop your business.
- Re-evaluate – Have you something new to say? Have you invented something? Have you implemented a new CSR practice? Sometimes people can be too close to their own businesses and don’t recognise their achievements in the way someone else would. Step back – let us write your story. If your business has hit a milestone, celebrate it, don’t hide it.
- Brand Exposure – By entering awards you can boost your brand’s exposure – not just in mainstream media but on social media. Awards always have their own hashtag to follow so being a part of an awards process allows your company to engage in those social conversations leading up to, during and after. Not only that but people who are not attending the gala awards night also follow the hashtag on Twitter. This is a great way of getting your brand out there.
- Connections – Every single time we have attended an awards ceremony we always meet someone who connects with us. People like doing business with people. If they like you there’s an increased opportunity for a working relationship to develop. If you’re seen as approachable the likelihood is you will make strong connections. Influence the influencer. Who knows what could happen.
- Motivation – Every time we submit an award for a client – whether they win or not – they always feedback that there’s an increase in staff morale. They are a great way to build relationships in-house. Employees feel motivated if their company has been shortlisted, highly commended or announced as the winner. It’s always a nice gesture to invite members of your team to the awards ceremony.
- Competition – Do you know who you are up against? Who are your main competitors in your sector? Industry awards are a great way to meet your competitors. Rather than rolling your eyes at the fact that they continue to win awards – join them. Enter. Compete.
There are many benefits from entering awards, internal and external.
– boost to staff morale
– add value to company profiles
– boost reputation on a public platform
– brand awareness
– opportunity for PR and profiling opportunities
– it lets your existing customers know you are doing well
– it can attract new customers
– sets you aside from competitors
– being ‘award winning’ can help persuade potential customers chose you over other companies
– get good feedback from judges – can be a useful consultation process
– build contacts
– it’s an opportunity to step back and assess your achievements to date
No matter what sector you work in – awards will work for you!
MGMPR Ltd is a multi-media PR agency which uses brand journalism as a powerful communication tool. We are a team of media law trained professionals who have the storytelling skills to deliver your company’s key messages across multiple publishing platforms. By ‘Telling Your Story’ we are building on your success. If your company wishes to enter an award call MGMPR on 028 3756 9569 or email Eleanor directly on email@example.com – Brand journalism is a key approach to PR in Northern Ireland.